01952 457176

  Free and impartial support for children and young people aged 0-25 years with

special educational needs and disabilities

and their parent/carers


Delivering_IS Logo_RGB

Telford & Wrekin

NEW IASS Logo Small without PPS on it

Independent Support

The Children and Families Act 2014 has introduced a number of changes to the way disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs receive support.

Who will receive help from an Independent Supporter?

The Role of Independent Supporters

Call 01952 457176

Or email info@telfordsendiass.org.uk


The main changes include:

  • The introduction of Education, Health & Care (EHC) plans to replace statements

  • Giving parent/carers and young people control regarding decisions on their support

  • Personal budgets for parent/carers and young people to support their EHC plan

  • A requirement for local authorities to publish information on the local offer explaining how the process will happen

  • Supporting parent/carers or young people to transfer a statement of special educational needs into an EHC plan

  • Helping parent/carers or young people understand the local offer.

  • Offering a named contact throughout the EHC assessment planning process.

  • Liaising with a range of agencies with the parent/carer or young person to help gather the information required for the EHC.

  • Providing information to parent/carers or young people on personal budgets.

  • Signposting the parent/carer and young person to Information Advice & Support Services (IASS)  when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter.

Specially trained Independent Supporters will provide support to parent/carers or to young people during the EHC assessment planning process.


The support will be tailored to the particular needs of families but will focus on:

  • Parent/carers of children being assessed for EHC plans

  • Parent/carers of children with a statement converting to an EHC plan

  • Young people with a learning disability converting to an EHC plan

Who will provide the Independent Support Service in Telford & Wrekin?

The following two voluntary sector organisations will work alongside each other to provide Independent Support:

Telford & Wrekin SEND Information, Advice & Support Service (IASS)

Telford & Wrekin CVS

To access this service or to find out more: